REVIEW: Together We Burn, Isabel Ibanez - 5/5

Santivilla is home to one of the most respected dragon fighting rings in the world; a place where man and dragon battle it out in front of huge, expectant crowds. However, one show goes terribly wrong, and changes Zarela's life forever. Now, a year later, tragedy strikes at her own family's arena, meaning she must fight with all she has to save her family name; but she needs help to do it, which is a lot easier said than done...

When I heard about Together We Burn, I was immediately intrigued. I don't read a lot of fantasy, but the idea of this story really stood out and, once I'd finished the book, I was in complete awe.

One of the first things I noticed about this book, was Isabel Ibanez's truly beautiful writing. This is a world like no other, and Ibanez made it come to life in such a fantastic way; it felt so real, which blew me away.

Each character, especially Zarela, was crafted with such elegance, thought and love, which made the story all that more beautiful.

Zarela is a wonderful main character. She is feisty when she needs to be, and as stubborn as anything. She embodies grace and determination, and it was a genuine pleasure to read about her journey.

The other characters, such as Zarela's father, Santiago, her best friend Lola (who is also a maid in her household), and Arturo, the dragon tamer whose assistance should make the difference between the loss of Zarela's arena and its continuation, were as bold as the sun.

Arturo and Zarela are a brilliant duo, to say the least. She doesn't back down when it comes to saving her arena and her family legacy, and he is just as stubborn as she is, if not more so.

They dance together, but with words; they know how to annoy one another, and it was hilarious to read. They also have so much heart, and care deeply about many things, although Arturo won't let anyone see that...

Every character was great, and I loved their personalities and the way a sense of family and humour was created.

In regard to the story, I'm not sure I can praise it highly enough. The idea of a flamenco dancer (Zarela) deciding to become a Dragonador (dragon fighter) in order to save her arena and those within it, was genuinely amazing.

Dragons and flamenco dancing - who'd have thought this idea would result in such a perfect plot? One that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I am in love with Zarela and her world. A dancer goes on stage to warm up the crowd before a dragon fighter takes the dancer's place and faces a mighty beast; it's something I've never heard before, and may not again.

Ibanez's writing is exceptional, as I felt every emotion on every page; Zarela's anger, hurt and hope, as well as her joy when things seem to be going her way.

The plot is simply sensational, and I adore the world the author has created here, full of danger, love, food and wine; a firey yet perfect combination.

The first few chapters of the book were a great set-up for the rest of the story, and I found myself thinking 'one more chapter', before realising that the sun had gone down while I read.

This book is something special. It has everything you'd want from an action genre, with some love, drama and thrills mixed in.

Every twist (especially the final one!) had an impact on the story in a brilliant way, and Zarela's ability to push through any pain or grief at such a young age (18) was rather inspiring; she took everything head-on out of love for her family.

Together We Burn is a book I will be recommending at every opportunity, and its story will no doubt stick with me for a very long time.

Together We Burn is out now!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The Retreat, Sarah Pearse - 4.5/5

REVIEW: The Final Party, A.A Chaudhuri - 5/5