REVIEW: Enlightened as Hell, Dr. Tony Ortega - 5/5

 Self-help books can sometimes be hit-or-miss, giving advice that sometimes doesn't make much sense, or doesn't come from a place of experience. Well, this is one self-help book that was written with both understanding and love.

Enlightened as Hell: How to be spiritual and not be a d*ck by Dr. Tony Ortega has to be one of the most wonderful self-help books I've read.

This is a book which was come from a place of hurt, only to be crafted with love and genuine care; the result being a short yet stunning account of how to not be a better person, but how to be a better you.

Ortega has written books similar to Enlightened as Hell in the past, but within the pages, it seems as though this may be his magnum opus.

I simply adored this book. I felt as though Ortega was speaking to me and me only, giving me advice that he believed in so strongly to help me not be a d*ck.

The writing style was simply beautiful; it flowed expertly well, and made me feel as though I was listening to a friend, rather than simply reading a book.

The whole experience felt very personal, largely due to Ortega dropping in pieces of his past and bits of experience. This was in no way intended to preach, but given to the reader in order to learn from and accept that yes, bad things will happen, but tomorrow is another chance to live and love your life.

I felt as though, while I was reading, that any problems I had, big or small, were understood. I felt validated somehow reading Enlightened as Hell, which was something genuinely beautiful.

Another thing I loved about this book, was the #ElevateNOW quotes scattered throughout. These acted like little nuggets of advice that related to the chapter I was reading.

They were a summary of sorts, while providing small quotes that you could write down and keep somewhere, if you felt they related to you.

All in all, while Enlightened as Hell: How to be spiritual and not be a d*ck was a short read, it was a wonderful one.

I felt genuine joy while reading, and I know anyone else who picks up this book will too. It is a legitimately helpful and, as the title suggests, enlightening experience that is sure to not only help those who read it, but will motivate anyone to realise that bad exists, yes, but we can rise like Phoenix out of the ashes and make a better day for ourselves, one step at a time.






Comments

  1. I really love this this book, because it is honest with no BS. I love the way the author shared about his personal struggles which honestly made me feel better that I am not alone. This book came in just the knick of time. I honestly wanted to give up and not care about things anymore be a jerk to everyone upsets me but Dr Ortega talked me down from being a d$&k. Thank you Dr Ortega.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this book was a help to you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Together We Burn, Isabel Ibanez - 5/5

REVIEW: The Retreat, Sarah Pearse - 4.5/5

REVIEW: The Final Party, A.A Chaudhuri - 5/5