REVIEW: The Edge of Empire, Stephanie Amey - 3/5

 Historical fiction seems to be a niche genre these days, but after picking up Stephanie Amey's newest read I'm inclined to believe it still has a place in the bookish world.

The Edge of Empire is, admittedly, a book I wouldn't usually pick for myself to read; however, when the title was sent to me by the wonderful people at Northodox Press, I knew it was going to be worth the read.

Stephanie Amey's newest book takes place in 170 AD and sees Aurelius Petrus, Optio (second in command) of Fort Bana, take on the investigation of two murdered soldiers. However, once he begins looking into the deaths of two of the Fort's own, Petrus realises something strange...

The men were seemingly killed by Druids, a cult that was wiped out by Romans 100 years ago; but Petrus refuses to let sleeping dogs lie as the Optio is convinced Druids are not the cause of his men's deaths.

When beginning The Edge of Empire, I wasn't completely sure what to expect as historical fiction isn't a genre I dabble in often. However, the plot sounded amazing, almost like a historical Sherlock Holmes, so I was eager to begin.

The first thing I noticed while reading this book, was the simplicity of the writing. That is not to say this is a bad thing, but the way in which it was written set the tone for the rest of the book.

I immediately liked our main character, Petrus. As a Roman soldier he of course has a harsh side to him, hissing and shouting orders at his men. He also has a softer, more lenient side; I really enjoyed how Amey portrayed his character as he made for a brilliantly inquisitive and interesting man to lead the story.

As I read more and more, my opinion of this book being written simply was set in stone; while I somewhat liked that about this title as it allowed the main character and his comrades to shine a little brighter, it felt almost a shame as the plot and environment suffered ever so slightly.

When the environment was described, it was done well and there was no doubt about that, but I did notice the repeat of certain phrases (such as smells 'filling the air') which felt a little repetitive.

Having said this, the book progressed at a very decent pace. I enjoyed Petrus' travels from the Fort to the Vicus (the settlement around the Fort) as he interviewed men whom he suspected were involved with the murders of the two soldiers.

Petrus was indeed a brilliant main character, as the way he was written definitely made him human as he grew tired often, worked hard and showed love for his wife and son.

About halfway into The Edge of Empire, it seems as though Petrus' superior, Julius Maximus, as found those responsible for the killings of his men... but Petrus isn't so sure. Just as one problem seems to be solved, two more bodies are found, which sets off a series of events that I'm sure no reader could predict.

Despite the somewhat simple writing, lack of environmental description and even the seemingly skipped-over scenes within the book, Amey has written a brilliant ending to this title that I genuinely really loved.

Petrus' suspicions are conformed, a battle breaks out, and true motives are revealed in a matter of moments; the ending of this book is most definitely the best part and I was sat with my jaw agape; even if this scene felt a little rushed, I was intreagued to find out what really happened to the two dead soldiers, and who else was involved...

The Edge of Empire is a slow-burning yet highly-interesting read. It takes the reader back to 170 AD and highlights Petrus, the main character, in brilliant ways and makes him a man worth rooting for. A good, simple read with a somewhat complex twist and a satisfying ending - worth the read for sure.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Enlightened as Hell, Dr. Tony Ortega - 5/5